The Parent/Student Portal is your best resource to stay on top of the goings-on at your student’s school. Some of the best ways to use the Parent/Student Portal are:
- Quicker, more convenient yearly registration
- School Choice Applications can be completed through Parent Portal (and you’ll receive school assignments more quickly!)
- You can view your student’s grades and assignments any time you wish – DPS is moving toward a paperless Report Card system, which would mean that aside from special requests, all Progress Reports will be provided to parents through their Portal Account
- Attendance and Behavior concerns will be reflected in your Portal Account – you can check for ongoing issues, or reach out to the office regarding any questions or concerns you may have.
- District and State Test scores will also be available on your Portal Account, with information regarding the interpretation of the scores.
It’s important to note that if you do not log on to your Parent/Student Portal account for more than 365 days, the account automatically deactivates. You will need to contact the Parent Portal Team to reactivate your account.
If you’ve never registered for an account before, it’s extremely easy! Just check out the steps below:
- Visit myportal.dpsk12.org
- Click on “Getting Started” at the top
- Fill in your information, as well as your student’s information, EXACTLY as it’s entered into the school computer system
- Typically, schools will use the parent name as it’s reflected on the student’s birth certificate. If you go by a different name, or you’re unsure, you can always check with the office staff.
- Parents have run into confusion when trying to register students with hyphenated last names. Again, schools generally enter information to match birth certificates, but if you’re unsure, you can always call or email the front office and they can quickly look the information up.
- Student ID numbers are required! This is the same number as your student’s lunch number, but if you need a reminder, you can call or email the front office.
- Once you register, you’ll need to click the verification link that’s sent to your email. After clicking that link, it should take about 30 minutes for your account to activate. If you’ve waited longer than that with no activation, contact the Parent Portal Team.
It’s important to make sure your account is active or create a new account before the end of the school year, to ensure that the front office staff will be able to assist you with anything you may need help with. Parent Portal can be used to expedite the Summer Registration Process, which will open on July 18th, 2016. You can only register online if your Parent Portal Account is active!
Parent Portal Team Contact Info
Keep in mind – they will be fielding many email messages during peak times (right before summer registration, right before the Choice processes begin…), so it’s important to contact them NOW if you’re in need of assistance!