Teller Elementary School opened its doors in 1920. As the picture above shows, the original building featured Greek columns and a symmetrical appearance. Two major additions occurred, in the 1950s and in the 1990s, adding the auditorium, gym and lunch room. These renovations, with the addition of the Learning Landscape Playground in 2010, created the campus we see today.
The school is named after Henry M. Teller, a distinguished Colorado politician active in the 1870s to 1890s. Mr. Teller served for over thirty years as a U.S. senator and cabinet Secretary of the Interior. He was a vocal opponent of the move to the gold standard, instead supporting the continued use of silver in the money supply. Silver, of course, made the fortunes of many a Colorado miner and its elimination from the U.S. money supply in the late 19th century ruined many prominent Coloradoan families and bankrupted towns and businesses across the state