June 1st Thursday Folder
As the 2016-2017 school year ends, we have so much to celebrate. I want to take a moment to share some highlights from this year.
- Student Achievement: Student achievement is always one of our top priorities at Teller and our Tigers have made amazing growth in both reading and math this year.
- Reading: Last fall only 45% (193 students) of our students were reading at or above grade level. Following spring assessments, we have learned that 72% (315 students) of our students are reading at or above grade level!
- MATH: Last fall 32% (136 students) of our students were at grade level or above, and by the end of April 65% (289 students) of our students were at or above grade level.
- Parent-Teacher Home Visit Program: Teller staff and faculty set a goal of visiting 95 of our families. To date, we reached 120% of our home visit goal. Connecting with our families in their homes lays the foundation of a successful relationship between parents and teachers.
- Gifted and Talented: Seventeen students in grades 1-5 completed the GT/HGT identification process this year, while forty-four students are in the process of being identified as GT or HGT with one or two state-sanctioned indicators. Our program also supported students that were recommended by their teachers, as well as most fourth and fifth grade students in their math classes. This year, our GT/HGT program expanded its reach to offer differentiated activities for ALL Teller students who are motivated to extend their learning experiences. Over fifty Challenge Projects were provided to teachers and families on a variety of topics, including extension projects for our genre studies units.
We are excited to announce some changes and new opportunities for the 2017-2018 school year. These changes have come about through collaboration with all of our stakeholders, and we are excited about implementing them.
Lunch and Recess: We will be extending our lunch and recess block from 40 minutes to 50 minutes. This extension is in response to concerns that our children have adequate time to eat and play. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to be excused from the cafeteria when they have finished their lunch, instead of waiting for the entire class to be dismissed. Likewise, if children need more time to eat their lunch, this process will allow for it.
Math Acceleration and Compacting: In conjunction with the GT department, Archuleta, Carson, and Southmoor; Teller has adopted a math acceleration and compacting program. This program has been designed to better meet the needs all Teller students by focusing and targeting differentiated math instruction in Kindergarten through 5th grade.
Staffing: We are excited to welcome our new staff members to Teller for the 2017-2018 school year. Some of our staffing changes were internal shifts, while other new faces to Teller.
- Principal – Sabrina Bates
- Assistant Principal – Abram Janson
- Kindergarten – Katrina Swanson
- 1st Grade – Dana Bell
- 1st Grade – Karen Ryan (Job share with Mariam Mazooji)
- 2nd Grade – Stephanie Chesla (Moving down from 3rd grade)
- 2nd Grade – Caroline Newcomb
- 3rd Grade – Kevin Gray
- 3rd Grade – Rachel Slivnick (Moving down from 4th/5th grade)
- 4th Grade Literacy – Allison Conway (0.5 FTE)
- 4th/5th Grade Literacy – Lisa Murray
- Jennifer Crawford – Art (Job share with Katie Taft)
- Molly Burris – Math Fellow
- Veronica McCarthy – Math Fellow
- Office Secretary – Richard Fundom
- Facilities Manager – Chuck Wiesbrook
The staff and faculty at Teller would like to wish you well over summer break. We look forward to seeing everyone back in the fall.
End of Year Report Cards were sent home today. If you didn’t receive your grades today, please email your student’s teacher.
Friday, June 2nd
- Last Day of School – Half Day, students release at 12:00 p.m. (no lunch will be served)
- 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Talent Show – ECE, Kinder, 1st, and 2nd Grades
- 10:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Talent Show – 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grades
Tuesday, August 8th
- 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Registration
Wednesday, August 9th
- 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Registration
Monday, August 21st
- 8:00 a.m. First Day of School